Sea Salt; Sodium Chloride(in 55,958 products)
1. Antiseptic / Disinfectant - Prevents growth of unwanted microorganisms.
2. Flavor / Flavoring / Flavor Enhancer - Provides or enhances a particular taste or smell.
3. Gelling Agent / Thickener - Increases the viscosity by thickening the liquid to give it more texture
Salt, also known as sodium chloride , has many end uses. Virtually every person in the world has some direct or indirect contact with salt daily. People routinely add salt to their food as a flavor enhancer or apply rock salt to walkways to remove ice in the winter. Salt is used as feedstock for chlorine and caustic soda manufacture; these two inorganic chemicals are used to make many consumer-related end-use products, such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) plastic made from chlorine and paper-pulping chemicals manufactured from caustic soda.
-Sodium chloride is one of the most abundant minerlas on earth.
-In the Middle Ages, salt was so expensive it was sometimes referred to as “white gold”.
-Consumption of too much salt can be deadly – you need to take about 1 gram of salt per kilogram of weight to die and this was used as a method of ritual suicide in China – especially amongst the nobility as salt was so expensive.
1. PubChem: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/5234
Safety and Hazards (UN GHS):
1. Causes serious eye irritation (H319)
Potential Health Concerns For:
1. Adenocarcinoma (PubMed ID:7821872)
2. Cardiomegaly (PubMed ID:17325658)
3. Choledochal Cyst (PubMed ID:18988797)
4. Coma (PubMed ID:5067144)
5. Edema (PubMed ID:5067144)
6. Extravasation of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Materials (PubMed ID:7706905)
7. Fetal Death (PubMed ID:5067144)
8. Hyperalgesia (PubMed ID:27231091)
9. Hyperemia (PubMed ID:10564113)
10. Hypertension (PubMed ID:10826407)
11. Hypertension, Renal (PubMed ID:33338514)
12. Hypertrophy, Left Ventricular (PubMed ID:33338514)
13. Kidney Diseases (PubMed ID:19841131)
14. Pain (PubMed ID:14981739)
15. Proteinuria (PubMed ID:2369495)
16. Seizures (PubMed ID:5067144)
17. Stomach Diseases (PubMed ID:11567657)
18. Stomach Neoplasms (PubMed ID:16646055)
19. Vascular Remodeling (PubMed ID:27678262)
20. Water Intoxication (PubMed ID:5067144)
Potential Health Benefits For:
1. Acute Kidney Injury (PubMed ID:16878259)
2. Arrhythmias, Cardiac (PubMed ID:3372179)
3. Drug-Related Side Effects and Adverse Reactions (PubMed ID:2586007)
4. Epilepsy, Tonic-Clonic (PubMed ID:6407273)
5. Hypercalcemia (PubMed ID:8483820)
6. Hyponatremia (PubMed ID:16633772)
7. Leishmaniasis, Cutaneous (PubMed ID:9499605)
8. Polyuria (PubMed ID:20649851)
9. Sick Sinus Syndrome (PubMed ID:2790295)
10. Tachycardia, Ventricular (PubMed ID:2790295)
11. Ventricular Fibrillation (PubMed ID:10823730)