Polysorbate 80(in 7,277 products)
1. Binder / Stabilizer - Retains the physical characteristics of food/cosmetics and ensure the mixture remains in an even state.
2. Emulsifier - Allows water and oils to remain mixed together to form an emulsion, such as in mayonnaise, ice cream, and homogenized milk
3. Gelling Agent / Thickener - Increases the viscosity by thickening the liquid to give it more texture
Polysorbate 80 is derived from polyethoxylated sorbitan and oleic acid. It is used as an emulsifier in foods (E number 433) such as ice cream, which makes the ice cream smoother and easier to handle, as well as increasing its resistance to melting. It is also used as a surfactant in soaps and cosmetics (including eye drops), or a solubilizer such as in a mouthwash.
It is approved to use as a food additive in the EU and the US.
1. US FDA Food Additives Status List 
- Polyoxyethylene (20) sorbitan monooleate
2. EU Approved Food Additive 
3. Japan’s List of Designated Food Additives under Article 10 of the Food Sanitation Act
- Polysorbate 80