Polysorbate 20(in 11,393 products)
1. Emulsifier - Allows water and oils to remain mixed together to form an emulsion, such as in mayonnaise, ice cream, and homogenized milk
2. Surfactant - Reduces the surface tension to allow mixtures to be formed evenly. Emulsifier is a specific type of surfactant which allows two liquids to mix together evenly
Polysorbate 20 is a polysorbate-type nonionic surfactant formed by the ethoxylation of sorbitan before the addition of lauric acid. Its stability and relative nontoxicity allows it to be used as a detergent and emulsifier in a number of domestic, scientific, and pharmacological applications.
Polysorbate 20 is used as a wetting agent in flavored mouth drops such as Ice Drops, helping to provide a spreading feeling to other ingredients like SD alcohol and mint flavor. It is also widely used as an emulsifier or solubiliser in a variety of foods including bakery products. It has E number 432.
1. PubChem: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/443314
1. EU Approved Food Additive 
2. Japan’s List of Designated Food Additives under Article 10 of the Food Sanitation Act
- Polysorbate 20
Safety and Hazards (UN GHS):
1. May cause an allergic skin reaction (H317)
2. Causes serious eye irritation (H319)