E493; Sorbitan Laurate(in 592 products)
1. Binder / Stabilizer - Retains the physical characteristics of food/cosmetics and ensure the mixture remains in an even state.
2. Emulsifier - Allows water and oils to remain mixed together to form an emulsion.
Sorbitan monolaurate is a lipophilic surface active agent. It is often used as an emulsifier in combination with polysorbates. It is also used to modify crystallisation of fats.
It is used as food additive (E number 493) in bakery products, toppings and coatings, marmalade, fat emulsions, milk and cream analogues,beverage whiteners, liquid tea concentrates and liquid fruit and herbal infusion concentrates, edible ices, emulsified sauces, dietary food supplements, chewing gum, dietetic foods intended for special medical purposes.
It is approved to use as food additive in EU.
1. PubChem: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/14926
1. EU Approved Food Additive 
Safety and Hazards (UN GHS):
1. Causes skin irritation (H315)
2. Causes serious eye damage (H318)
3. Causes serious eye irritation (H319)