Butane(in 1,008 products)Banned by Gov or classified as a carcinogen by IARC
Banned by Gov or classified as a carcinogen by IARC
1. Packaging Gas / Propellants - Packaging gas is used as protection and inhibition of unwanted chemical reactions or Propellants which is used as a carrier gas to deliver other ingredients
Butane is a gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. It is highly flammable, colorless, easily liquefied gases that quickly vaporize at room temperature.
Normal butane can be used for gasoline blending, as a fuel gas, fragrance extraction solvent, either alone or in a mixture with propane, and as a feedstock for the manufacture of ethylene and butadiene, a key ingredient of synthetic rubber. Isobutane is primarily used by refineries to enhance (increase) the octane number of motor gasoline.
Very pure forms of butane, especially isobutane, can be used as refrigerants and have largely replaced the ozone-layer-depleting halomethanes, for instance in household refrigerators and freezers. Butane is also used as lighter fuel for a common lighter or butane torch and is sold bottled as a fuel for cooking, barbecues and camping stoves.
As a food additive (E number 943A), butane is used as a propellant in aerosol spray cans for vegetable oil-based aerosol cooking sprays and water-based emulsion cooking sprays. It is also used as a propellant and aerating agent in foamed or sprayed food products. It is approved to use as food additive in EU.
1. PubChem: https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/7843
1. EU CosIng Annex II, SUBSTANCES PROHIBITED IN COSMETIC PRODUCTS 
- Ref: II/465
2. CANADA INGREDIENT HOTLIST, List of Ingredients that are Prohibited for Use in Cosmetic Products 
3. CANADA INGREDIENT HOTLIST, List of Ingredients that are Restricted for Use in Cosmetic Products 
4. EU Approved Food Additive 
Safety and Hazards (UN GHS):
1. May cause drowsiness or dizziness (H336)
2. May cause genetic defects (H340)
3. May cause cancer (H350)
Potential Health Concerns For:
1. Cranial Nerve Diseases (PubMed ID:12635524)